Links and Info
EMC-IDC "Digital Universe" study 2012
- Among the interesting facts in the report: The number of objects or files will grow faster than the overall volume of data over the next decade, growing 67 times compared to 44 for data, while storage capacity will grow only 30 times. And over that same time, the number of information professionals will only grow by a factor of 1.4, as demand will outstrip supply. That's good news for information professionals, if a challenge for CIOs, said Hollis.
- The amount of data that needs to be protected will grow too, from 30 percent of all data to 50 percent by 2020, thanks to compliance and security demands.
- Hollis also said he sees Ethernet as the storage networking technology of the future, noting that 40Gb networks can be had for $1,000 a port. "Every time, Ethernet wins," he said.
Nunes @3Par sees less of a role for Fibre Channel drives in the future, as the combination of SSDs, SATA drives and automated tiering will meet the needs of the bulk of storage networking customers and save on storage costs over FC drives.
Netapp overview of FC, !iSCSI, NFS
FCoE (Fiber Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), Data Center Ethernet (DCE), or more precisely, Data Center Bridging (DCB)
Microsoft VServer on iScsi
1Milion IOPS on iScsi intel vs Microsoft.
VMDq Intel cards, I/O Bottlenecks due to Virtualization? VMDq to the Rescue!
Feb 19, 2010 intel-and-microsoft-overhaul-iscsi
- Linux 3.1 changed to Linux-iSCSI.org SCSI target.
- 1/2/4/8 Gigabit
- ? Only 1Gig !iSCSI ?
Oracle on NetApp Part I: Using NFS for Simplicity and Manageability
Cheap / Home designed mega storage
- The result is a 4U rack-mounted Linux-based server that contains 67 terabytes at a material cost of $7,867.
- Recomend Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3030ALA630 drives
http://www.protocase.com/products/index.php?e=Backblaze Pre-asembled Blackblaze pod without (45)HD's $5395.00 (20120211)
20110615 Synology RackStation RS2211RP+(R21k) + 30TerraB(R14k) + Vat => R40k => raid 20TerraB @ R40k ==> R2/Gbyte
- 20110620 R14k(10 x 3TB HD)
D-Link $16k chassis with 10Gbit
rsync.net cloud storage at R2.40/Gbyte (for > 4000GB)
Switches, FCoE, 10G, iSCSI
QLogic UA5900 Ultra-dense Converged Network Switch.